This opportunity entails setting up a manufacturing/ assembly plant for solar inverters. Saudi Arabia plans to significantly increase capacity of energy production from renewable sources. The government is strongly committed to unlocking the renewable energy sector, through increasing capacity and localization requirements. Current localization requirements stand at 30%, while future localization plans are set between 40% and 60%.
Today, energy generation from renewable sources is almost negligible; however, Saudi Arabia has set a renewables target of 27.3 GW by 2024 and 58.7 GW by 2030. Round one for solar PV energy of 300 MW has already been tendered and round two has been announced for 1.5 GW.
KSA solar PV inverter market is forecasted to grow from USD 30 million in 2019 to reach USD 330 million by 2030. This amounts to an estimated 2019-2030 cumulative forecast of USD 3,960 million. With forecasted market growth, multiple opportunities exist to localize the inverter production value chain. The main focus of this opportunity is on manufacturing and assembly of solar PV inverters.
- Manufacturing: PCB making, SMT chip processing, reflow soldering, mounting components, passive components manufacturing
- Assembly: inverter assembly – PCB modules, passive components assembly, mechanical components inspection and assembly, wiring harness assembly
- Testing: performance testing (AC tests, short circuit, harmonics, voltage change etc.), aging test, other tests
- Investement size: 260.25 million SAR
- Location: To be determined by the investor
- Timeline: Open to starting the project as soon as possible
Model: Opportunity to consider different operating models
- Pure private sector model
- Joint venture with the government