This opportunity entails setting up a manufacturing / assembly plant for power capacitors and harmonics filters.
KSA has massive plans to increase transmission capacity, amounting to ~69,000 Ckt km of high voltage lines and ~250,000 MVA of high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030). Similarly, planned additional distribution capacity to amount to ~69,000 Ckt km for high voltage lines and ~219,000 MVA for high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030).
Beyond KSA, major regional capacity additions are planned to service the double-fold regional demand growth. Plans to increase regional transmission capacity beyond KSA amount to ~259,000 Ckt km of high voltage lines and ~775,000 MVA of high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030). Similarly, planned additional distribution capacity to amount to ~1.9 million Ckt km for high voltage lines and ~819,000 MVA for high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030).
The KSA power capacitors and harmonic filters market is estimated at USD 60 million in 2017 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.3%, to reach a value of USD 92 million by 2030.
With forecasted market growth, multiple opportunities exist to localize the power capacitors and harmonics filters production value chain. The main focus of this opportunity is on manufacturing and assembly of capacitors and filters:
- Manufacturing: dielectric paste production, sheet formation, sheet layering and pressing, sintering/firing, winding
- Assembly: box encapsulation, dry assembly, welding, impregnation
- However, opportunities also exist in capacitors and filters testing which includes: Capacitance management, voltage test, internal discharge test, sealing test, thermal stability test, short circuit test
- Investment size: To be determined by the investor
- Location: To be determined by the investor
- Timeline: Open to starting the project as soon as possible
Model: Opportunity to consider different operating models
- Pure private sector model
- Joint venture with the government