This opportunity entails setting up an assembly plant for polymer electrical insulators (<6.6 kV to 132 kV, HT & LT types).
KSA has massive plans to increase transmission capacity, amounting to ~69,000 Ckt km of high voltage lines and ~250,000 MVA of high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030). Similarly, planned additional distribution capacity to amount to ~69,000 Ckt km for high voltage lines and ~219,000 MVA for high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030).
Beyond KSA, major regional capacity additions are planned to service the double-fold regional demand growth. Plans to increase regional transmission capacity beyond KSA amount to ~259,000 Ckt km of high voltage lines and ~775,000 MVA of high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030). Similarly, planned additional distribution capacity to amount to ~1.9 million Ckt km for high voltage lines and ~819,000 MVA for high voltage substations (cumulative 2017 – 2030).
The KSA polymer insulator market is estimated at USD 53 million in 2017 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.4%, to reach a value of USD 82 million by 2030.
With forecasted market growth, multiple opportunities exist to localize the polymer insulator production value chain. The main focus of this opportunity is on assembly of polymer insulators:
- Assembly: jig is used for assembling, metal part made of malleable cast iron is used, cement injection process is implemented for joining the insulator with metal part
However, opportunities also exist in polymer insulator manufacturing and testing,
- Manufacturing: ball milling, filter pressing, pug milling, pug electric dryer, shaping, drying and glazing, kilning, cutting and grinding
- Testing: bending test, electrical test, pressure test, tensile test
- Investment size: To be determined by the investor
- Location: To be determined by the investor
- Timeline: Open to starting the project as soon as possible
Model: Opportunity to consider different operating models
- Pure private sector model
- Joint venture with the government